Re: I need more info about swich-e architecture

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 16:51:17 GMT
Diego Billi scribbled on 1/22/06 5:13 PM:

> Hi,
> i'm looking for more informations about swish-e's architecture because
> i'd like to modify the code and it would be easier with some description.
>
> I've read in the wiki that there isn't any documentation yet.

I assume you're talking about the C code that builds the swish-e command line
tool and the libswish-e search library. Otherwise, there's lots of documentation
available for all the helper adds (perl modules, scripts, configuration, etc.).

> Could any good man draw on a sheet a simple "snapshot" of the
> architecture, do a photo with a digital camera and upload the
> image file somewhere? I could redraw it with some graphic editor (an SVG
> image for example) and send it back for the wiki.

The C code remains undocumented because it is a shepherd's pie of several
contributors over 10 years. There are lots of comments in there, some of them
helpful, some less so.

If you tell us what feature you want to modify, we might be able to point you at
the relevant .c files. Otherwise, the file and function names might give some
clue as to the workflow.