Re: Configuration

From: Lars D. Noodén <lars(at)not-real.umich.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 12:36:48 GMT
> 2) Have swish read from the progam
>=09swish-e -S prog -i ./DirTree.pl
>    or set the program in IndexDir in a swish-config file
>
>        swish.conf:
>        IndexDir DirTree.pl
>
>        swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf

I've tried variations of that.  It looks like 'SwishProgParameters' may be=
=20
needed.

2)

> Have swish read from the progam
>    swish-e -S prog -i ./DirTree.pl
>  or set the program in IndexDir in a swish-config file
>
>    swish.conf:
>       IndexDir DirTree.pl
>    swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf

I've tried four variations, but have been unable to figure out what's=20
wrong.

A) This one does not find the directory, since it is not specified:

$ swish-e -S prog -i /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl

   Indexing "/usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl"
   External Program found: /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl
   Must supply at least one directory
   Usage:
      DirTree.pl [options] directory <directory...> |
  =09swish-e -S prog -i stdin

           -verbose        Display processing info
           -debug          Enable debugging (including SWISH::Filter
 =09=09debugging)
           -man            Display documentation
           -path           Display location lib path set at installation
           -no_skip        Process documents even if filtering fails
           -symlinks       Follow symbolic links.  Default is to
 =09=09NOT follow  symlinks

   Removing very common words...
   no words removed.
   Writing main index...
   err: No unique words indexed!

B) This one does not find the directory, though it is specified.

$ swish-e -S prog -i /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl=20
/Library/WebServer/ODF/
  Indexing "/usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl"
  External Program found: /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl
  Must supply at least one directory
  Usage:
      DirTree.pl [options] directory <directory...> | swish-e -S prog -i=20
stdin

          -verbose        Display processing info
          -debug          Enable debugging (including SWISH::Filter
 =09=09debugging)
         -man            Display documentation
         -path           Display location lib path set at installation
         -no_skip        Process documents even if filtering fails
         -symlinks       Follow symbolic links.  Default is to NOT follow
 =09=09symlinks

  Indexing "/Library/WebServer/ODF/"

  Warning: Found '/Library/WebServer/ODF' in PATH but is not executable
  err: Failed to find program '/Library/WebServer/ODF' in PATH:
  /Developer/q t/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:
  /sw/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/lib/swish-e

C) This one finds the directory and the files in it, but not the filters,=
=20
not even the PDF filter:

$ /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl  /Library/WebServer/ODF/ | swish-e -S
 =09prog -i stdin

  Indexing "stdin"
  Wide character in print at /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl line 195.

  Warning: Unknown header line: 'th-Name: /Library/WebServer/ODF/
 =09bio100_2.odt' from program stdin
  err: External program failed to return required headers Path-Name:
  .

D) This one finds the directory and the files in it, but not the filters.

swish.conf contains:

 =09SwishProgParameters /Library/WebServer/ODF/
 =09IndexDir DirTree.pl

$ swish-e -S prog -c swish.conf
  Indexing "DirTree.pl"
  External Program found: /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl
  Wide character in print at /usr/local/lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl line 195.
 =09/Library/WebServer/ODF/bio100_1.odt - Using XML2 parser -
 =09(50 words)

 =09Warning: Unknown header line: 'th-Name: /Library/WebServer/ODF/
 =09bio100_2.odt' from program DirTree.pl
 =09err: External program failed to return required headers Path-Name:
 =09.

-Lars

Lars Nooden (lars@umich.edu)
 =09On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog ...
 =09... until you start barking.

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:57:10AM -0500, Lars D. Nood=E9n wrote:
>> I am invoking swish like this:
>> =09swish-e -c swish.conf -f swish.index -v 3
>
> That's doesn't look so good.
>
> Swish doesn't use SWISH::Filters without being told to do so:
>
> You either have to:
>
> 1) Pipe the output of something that uses SWISH::Filter into swish:
>
>    ./DirTree.pl /path/to/something | swish-e -S prog -i stdin
>

> 2) Have swish read from the progam
>
>    swish-e -S prog -i ./DirTree.pl
>
>    or set the program in IndexDir in a swish-config file
>
>        swish.conf:
>        IndexDir DirTree.pl
>
>        swihs-e -S prog -c swish.conf
>

> 3) Use a FileFilter to run a program that then uses SWISH::Filter
>
>    (yuck.  I won't even show an example)

to a plain text message.