Re: maildir / mime

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 13:48:29 GMT
On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 05:22:57AM -0800, Bas van Gils wrote:
> It's not too hard to do this but I found that I ran into trouble with
> (multi-part) MIME messages. Before I invest a lot of time in figuring out how
> to process MIME messages I figured I'd better ask if someone has already done
> something like this. No need to re-invent the wheel eh!

It's been on my todo list for a while -- like years.  Turns out I get
by with just mutt and a bunch of mail folders.  And when I can't find
a mail message I'm looking for I consider it a blessing.

Anyway, there's a ton of CPAN mail packages to help with this.
You might start:

    http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Mail_and_Usenet_News

What I've used in the past is Mail::Box

    http://search.cpan.org/~markov/Mail-Box-2.063/lib/Mail/Box-Overview.pod

Kind of involved, but once you grok it it's quite helpful.

You might think about writing the parser as a SWISH::Filter.  Then a
separate tool to "spider" the mail store -- which might be local
Maildir or mbox, or a remote imap or pop server, for example.