Re:

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 20:05:01 GMT
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:57:24AM -0800, ari@ivritype.com wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Swish-e 2.2.3 was installed on a website that I am now responsible for.
> The results page returns only title and URL. I would like to include
> returning the meta description, or the first 25 words of the file, or some
> other indicator as to the contents of the file. Is this possible? Where is
> it documented?

Read the "install" doc.  There's an example there of setting that
up.

Then, read the docs on swish.cgi and/or search.cgi as those both allow
term highlighting and/or snippets returned from searches.

> 2. It looks like swish-e was set up to index everything in .htdocs. BUT,
> there is some significant information that is not being indexed, and I
> don't see anything stopping that from happening. Because these are special
> printer-friendly pages, it is possible that there is no web link to the
> file.

So does that mean you are spidering the web site?  Or indexing a
directory?

> On the other hand, if I am indexing from the filesystem, that
> shouldn't be the issue. On the other hand, the folders tha I want indexed
> have names beginning with "_". I do not that files beginning with a dot
> are not indexed. Would an underscore fit into a "do not index" category?

Why don't you test and find out?  Swish has a -v switch that can show
every file that's indexed.  Or you could tell it to index a directory
and put a file in with an underscore and try it.

My recommendation is if you are indexing a smallish website that
doesn't change too often just spider it using spider.pl and pipe that
into swish.