Re: zLib Error on 64 bit Server

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 13:53:25 GMT
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:06:39AM -0800, Arndt Droullier wrote:
> Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -5.
> uncompressed size: 714 buf_len: -8672

This shows up once in a while.  You might check the list archives, but
I can't remember if it was ever resolved.

Did you build the index on the same machine?  Are you indexing very
large documents and using store description?

You can look at zlib.h for details, but -5 says there is not enough
room in the output buffer.  Unfortunately, the error message is
displaying the buffer sizes using %d but the values zlib is using are
ulong.  So, it's not really a negative number, but a very large
number.

Two things could cause that.  One would be that you saved a very large
property in the index (although I'm not sure if swish would allow
saving a huge property but not then be able to fetch it), or that the
uncompressed sized stored in the index was read incorrectly, which is
what I would suspect.

For swish to read an incorrect value back would mean that either the
property file was corrupt or that swish somehow got confused when
indexing into the prop file to fetch the compressed property.

Without a test case I can use I doubt I can easily find the problem.
You might be able to find it with gdb, but the process tends to eat
time. ;)

What you can try is disabling zlib compression if you have the disk
space.  Although, that still might not solve the problem if swish is
reading the prop file incorrectly.
> Depending on the search words the result is sometimes allright (including
> properties and description).

That's reading different results, so that's not unexpected.