swish.cgi, access denied

From: Michael Porcaro <music(at)>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 20:10:35 GMT
Dear Swish-E helpers,
I installed Swish-e without a problem, it compiled perfectly.  My
problem is with the file swish.cgi.  I symlinked it, as directed, to a
folder called "search" in my home website.  I tested this file directly,
and it works!  This is what I did to test it:
[/home/yc/www/search]# ./swish.cgi | head
          Search the Apache Documentation
Works great.
My problem is, I can't get this to work in the browser.  The browser
will not access swish.cgi when I call it.  You can go here to see what I
I also tested it in unix, by issuing GET
http://localhost/search/swish.cgi | head
[/home/yc/www/search]# GET http://localhost/search/swish.cgi | head
<HEAD><TITLE>An Error Occurred</TITLE></HEAD>
<H1>An Error Occurred</H1>
404 Not Found
The htaccess file is also located in:
and the .htaccess file looks like this:
     # Deny everything by default
               Deny From All
               # But allow just CGI script
               <files swish.cgi>
                   Options ExecCGI
                   Allow From All
                   SetHandler cgi-script
I even added an "Options +FollowSymlinks", but that still didn't work.
So the problem looks like it is with apache. This is what the htaccess
file looks like:
I think I followed the instructions exactly.  It installed, I symlinked
the swish.cgi file to a folder in my local site, I debugged (nothing is
wrong) and the script works.  I even spidered pages and searched for
pages issuing commands.  If anyone can offer insight, I would be
grateful.  Thanks in advance.

to a plain text message.