Swish-e and OpenDocument and metadata

From: Lars D. Noodén <lars(at)not-real.umich.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 16:11:25 GMT
Hi, I have two questions:

First, can Swish-e index OpenDocument files and the metadata in the
documents?  That PDF and MS-Word must first pass through a filter, but
that XML is processed.  OpenDocument is just zipped XML.  I ask because I
am looking to expand our list of packages[1] which handle the OpenDocument
format to ones beyond productivity packages.

Second, speaking of metadata, does the MetaNames listed in the document
contents directives mean that arbitrary metadata in HTML / XHTML
documents?  For example, if I index a site containing XHTML with lots of
Dublin Core[2], could I then search fields DC.Subject or DC.Creator
separately? I ask because I am quite curious about this and it was not
clear in the documentation.  A search of the site and its documentation
for 'metadata' turned up empty for me.

-Lars

[1] http://opendocumentfellowship.org/Applications/HomePage
[2] http://staff.library.adelaide.edu.au/~sthomas/tech/metadata.html

PS.  Thanks for a no-frames site.  I just got through with the ht://dig
site which is heavily encumbered by frames and am extra glad that Swish-e
has skipped them.

Lars Nooden (lars@umich.edu)
  	On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog ...
  	... until you start barking.