Re: swish-e -e require more memory than 900Mb

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 13:39:17 GMT
> Hi All,
>
> I try to index a big file (approximately 2Gb) by swish-e with -e option,
> but cannot.
> swish-e process try to take up many hundred megabytes of memory and
> linux kernel is forced to kill swish-e process before it takes up all.
>
> I believe, swish-e behavior with -e option can make provision for
> indexing of big files. I'm right?

it's not the size of the file, it's the number of files. I have to
question why you would be trying to index a single file? I would expect
Swish-e to choke on a single file that big; so would any app that tried to
open it in memory, I expect.

Unless it's the output of another program and you are inputing with -S
prog? In that case, the size of the file shouldn't matter, since the file
is 'split' according to the header of each 'doc' within the file.

--
Peter Karman . http://peknet.com/ . peter(at)not-real.peknet.com