Re: Swish-e with incremental mode still crashes sometimes

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 13:28:12 GMT
Uwe-

Thanks for the feedback. I doubt very much that Jose is listening on this
list right now, so I'll take a stab at response.

1. which build are you using? There have been several fixes to incremental
code in the CVS build that will be part of the 2.4.4 release (whenever
that happens...), but you can grab a recent snapshot build and see if that
makes a difference. Check the CHANGES log to see if the build you have
includes these fixes.

2. just to clarify: the incremental mode does \not\ use Berkeley DB. It
uses a custom btree that Jose wrote. I think there are BDB files in the
src tree, from a previous attempt at using that backend, but they are not
to be confused with the current incremental feature.

3.

> Swish-e spends most of the time sorting properties. We profiled the code
> identify the functions:
>
> 82 % of the time in  compFileProps (pre_sort.c)
> 13 % of the time in  CreatePropSortArray (pre_sort.c)

thanks for the code suggestions on speeding up the sorting. We'll take a
look at those.

As a short-term workaround, you might consider if there are properties
that you don't need sorted; you can turn them off with the PreSortedIndex
config directive. See the docs.

--
Peter Karman . http://peknet.com/ . peter(at)not-real.peknet.com