Re: Numeric Searching in swish-e

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 12:41:11 GMT
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 05:24:44AM -0700, Tac Tacelosky/Smokefree DC wrote:
> Thanks!  And in the perl API, this is called with
> $search->SetSearchLimit( $property, $low, $high );, right?

Yes.

Keep in mind that it may not scale real well.  That -L feature was
kind of a hack -- I added it because we have the pre-sorted property
tables.  There's no true index that is used to implement -L.

-L works by taking the presorted table (which is sizeof(int) * total
number of records in the index), sorting it by property then uses a
binary search to flag all the records in the range, and then sorts the
entire array again back in record number order and then uses that as a
lookup table for filtering the results.