Re: Problem calling DirTree.pl from IndexDir

From: Loren Gordon <info1(at)not-real.lorengordon.com>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 17:48:20 GMT
Whoops, I sent this reply directly to Bill Moseley's email instead of the list.  Sorry Bill.

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:38:20AM -0700, Loren Gordon wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have SWISH-E 2.4.3 installed on Windows Server 2003.  I've
> > installed unrtf, xhtml, and wvware and made sure they're in my path,
> > and I have the pp2html.pm and Rtf2html.pm filters in the Filters
> > directory.  I've also installed Parse::Excel and all other Perl
> > modules required for the various filters.
>
> You should not have to install the filters manually, as far as know.

Well, the Windows build of 2.4.3 did not come with pp2html.pm or Rtf2html.pm.  I got them from a previous post in the archives.

> > When I set my swish.conf so it will call DirTree.pl with IndexDir
> > and SwishProgParameters, I get lots of fun, confusing errors that I
> > have not been able to resolve.  For now I get around them by running
> > "perl lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl Y: | swish-e -e -S prog -i stdin -c
> > swish.conf".  That's worked for the individual files, but I just
> > started it on the whole directory.
>
> I think piping the output of DirTree.pl into swish is a fine way to
> go about things.

I have no problem with it, either.  But it seems simpler (from a user perspective) to have it called by swish-e.

> > It also hasn't been indexing all the directories in the path, even
> > though they index fine if I specify them individually.  I'm not sure
> > yet if that's related or because there are just a lot files (~350k
> > docs, 19k folders, 15GB of space).  I'm trying to eliminate one
> > problem at a time.
>
> One thing you can do is save the output of DirTree.pl to a file so
> you don't have to rerun it over and over, and you can inspect it with
> an editor.  Then feed that file to swish for indexing.

Ok.  I saw that in the archives, too, but haven't tried it.

> > Anyway, here are the errors:
> >
> > 2024 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in pattern match (m//) at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 348.
> > 2024 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in concatentation (.) or string at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 358.
> > 3112 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in substitution (s///) at C:/Perl/lib/HTML/Entities line 458.
> > 3112 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in numeric lt (<) at C:\SWISH-E\lib\swish-e\perl/SWISH/Filters/XLtoHTML.pm line 70.
>
> Those are odd, and I can't really guess what's causing those without
> debugging in your environment.

That's too bad.  Other than my environment being Windows Server 2003, though, I don't know what would be too unusual about it.

> > This is my config:
> >
> > IndexDir DirTree.pl
>
> Will Windows 2000 run DirTree.pl directly without specifying
> perl.exe?  In the past I've done
>
> IndexDir /path/to/perl.exe
> SwishProgParameters /path/to/DirTree.pl /path/to/index

I've associated .pl files with the perl executable, so it automatically passes DirTree.pl as an argument to perl.exe.  Like double-clicking on a .doc file opens the file in Word.  I remember seeing a post about how Windows kept opening the perl scripts with WordPad.  It's becaues they associated the scripts with Wordpad instead of perl.exe.

But I'll try that config and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Loren

----- End Forwarded Message -----

----- End Forwarded Message -----