using DC.Date.modified for swishlastmodified property

From: Peter Farmer <peter.farmer(at)not-real.zveno.com>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 02:36:08 GMT
Hi,

Can anyone confirm that if I want to use an alternative HTML metadata
element (in this case the Dublin Core Date.modified element) as the
swishlastmodified property for an indexed  document (via
ProperyNameAlias) that the only encoding scheme that will work is
'seconds since the UNIX epoch' ?

At present all the docs to be indexed contain DC date elements encoded
via the (default) W3C-DTF scheme. Also I dont think that the DC allows
any other format for Date elements . I certainly have never seen anyone
generating DC Date elements with Unix epoch time-stamps.

Indexing said documents generate this error (and empty
swishlastmodified properties) :

Warning: EncodeProperty - Invalid char '-' found in string '2005-06-30
09:39:12 +1000'
Warning: Failed to add property 'swishlastmodified' in file
'http://myserver.mydomain/mydocument'

Is there a recommended way to extend swish-e cleanly to do the
conversion or do I have to modify core swish-e code to enable detection
of W3C-DTF date metadata  and convert it to unix epoch format ?
Or would it be better idea to extend the spider to preconvert the
DC.Date.modified values before passing to swish-e ?

If I do need to modify swish-e, is it this facility something that
would be able to be folded back in to the main code base, rather that
me having to maintain a forked version ?

Regards,

Pete Farmer