Sharing an index file between 64-bit and 32-bit systems

From: Sam Tregar <sam(at)not-real.tregar.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 22:43:27 GMT
Hello all.  I'm working on a multiple machine system running Fedora
Core Linux 3 on both 32-bit and 64-bit hardware.  The 64-bit machine
is the DB server and builds the Swish-e index periodically.  The
32-bit machines are web servers which need to read the index to answer
requests.

On the DB (64-bit) machine, all is well:

   $ ./swish-e/bin/swish-e -w maine -f /export/xxxx_preview/swishe_index.db
   # SWISH format: 2.4.3
   # Search words: maine
   # Removed stopwords:
   # Number of hits: 7
   # Search time: 0.000 seconds
   # Run time: 0.012 seconds

And then all the search results are shown.

On the web servers (32-bit), with the same index file shared via NFS I
get an error when I test a search:

   swish-e -w foo -f /export/xxxx_preview/swishe_index.db
   err: Index file error: File "/export/xxxx_preview/swishe_index.db"
   has an unknown format.

Is this a known problem with building an index on a 64-bit system for
us on 32-bit systems?  Or do you think I'm jumping to the wrong
conclusion?

Thanks,
-sam