Re: SWISH::* and CPAN

From: Michael Peters <mpeters(at)not-real.plusthree.com>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 19:41:54 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:45:08AM -0700, Michael Peters wrote:
>
>>Peter Karman wrote:
>>
>>>IIRC, the only hangup with putting the SWISH::API on CPAN is that no one
>>>has yet done it. :)
>

> That's basically it.  The plan has been to pull it out of the swish-e
> distribution and place it on CPAN.  But, that means adjusting cvs,
> docs and generally moving things around for something that's working
> fine for me as is.

Would I need to get cvs access to do this work? Or should it be separate
from swish-e? I think I would prefer that it stay in the same cvs repo
since I'm not writing it, just 'cleaning up' and the bulk of the
knowledge about it is not in my head.

> The reason would be to make it somewhat cleaner for distributions to
> pack SWISH::API and swish-e  separately.

That's what I'm aiming for. It also allows us to upgrade those perl
modules independent of swish-e itself.

> If you have a module based on SWISH::API it would be nice to have
> SWISH::API on CPAN so that CPAN.pm could install SWISH::API
> automatically for you.  Of course, SWISH::API depends on swish-e, and
> CPAN.pm isn't going to install that for you so the dependency chain
> breaks anyway.
>
> Maybe we could put Peter's buildswishe.pl script in the SWISH::API
> distribution and then it could automatically install swish-e...

That's an idea as well, however I do have my doubts about it. Most other
perl packages on CPAN which rely on external libraries don't try to
install those libraries (eg, GD, DBD::mysql, etc). It might be asking
for trouble if our attempt at an install borks something system wide.

>>I imagine it requires some doc cleanup and tests, but if there is no
>>other reason then I'd gladly volunteer to do it.
>

> What?!  My documentation might need some cleanup?  Impossible!

Some other thoughts I have on the migration to CPAN. Please
critique/comment as you see fit.

+ Bundle the other SWISH::* modules together (eg, SWISH::ParseQuery,
SWISH::PhraseHighlight, etc) so that they can then be used outside of
the search/swish.cgi scripts.

+ change the namespace from 'SWISH' to 'SWISHE'.

+ redo the method names so that they are more 'perlish'. eg, change
"Query" to "query", "New_Search_Object" to "new_search_object", etc. Not
really important, just more in line with the common perl style (also
more like Bill's previous SWISH module on CPAN).

--
Michael Peters
Developer