Re: Parsing doc, xls and excel files with swish-e and

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 19:57:28 GMT
Animesh Bansriyar wrote on 06/28/2005 02:27 AM:

> By a native filter I meant a library tightly coupled with the swish-e system
> which could use functions from the library to do all needed parsing and not a
> third party filter.

As Bill suggests, Swish-e is an indexing package for text-based documents.
Binary documents like M$ Word, etc., can be converted to something text-based
using other sw. Swish-e is not a conversion package; it's an indexing package.
Those 3rd party conversion tools are meant as a convenience, but are not a core
feature of Swish-e. Nor should they be, imho.

Isn't Microsoft investing a lot of $$ in local desktop search? Seems like that's
the latest feature from the desktop companies (like Apple's 10.4 Spotlight).

--
  Peter Karman . http://peknet.com/ . peter(at)not-real.peknet.com