Re: Parsing doc, xls and excel files with swish-e and libxml2

From: Animesh Bansriyar <animesh(at)not-real.arithme.net>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 05:42:39 GMT
Dave,

Thanks for such a detailed answer. It makes sense now to me.

David L Norris <dave@webaugur.com> wrote:
> All of my Windows builds are made on a Debian-based system using the
> mingw32, mingw32-binutils, mingw32-runtime packages.  The script
> swish-e/src/win32/build.sh will compile Swish-e under MinGW setting all
> the required configure options.  You would need to modify some portions
> of the build scripts to compile Swish-e natively under Windows.

I was trying to natively build swish-e under windows with some modifications
since we wanted to deploy swish-e on desktops throughout the organization where
we have a mixture of windows and linux clients and needed a minimal system
which would work similarily in both cases. I cannot ask all users to have perl
on their systems as well.

What are the chances of adding in a native parser for all document formats
onto swish-e itself? I would love to contribute if this is possible and feasible.

> To build Swish-e you need the development headers and libraries for
> pcre, zlib, and libxml2 compiled for Windows.  These development
> packages can be found on their respective websites.  Here is a copy of
> my build directory which contains a buildable version of swish-e 2.4.3:
> http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/swish-build-2005-03-29.tar.gz

Thanks,
Animesh