Re: An idea for calculating ranking

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 13:26:37 GMT
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:05:59PM -0700, koszalekopalek wrote:
> 1) Adobe Reader - Download
> 2) Macromedia Flash Player Download Center
> 3) Rhapsody & RealPlayer  the best audio and video players  Real.com
> 4) Apple - QuickTime - Download
> 5) MapQuest.Com Maps, Directions and More
> 6) Netscape Browser
>
> This only proves that they do something similar to what I
> proposed. Adobe ranks first because there is a gazillion of
> links out there that say click >>here<< to download Adobe.

You mean google's famous "Page Rank"?  They are not adjusting the
results by the text of the <a> tag, but by the number of links.

> The other thing is how much data you need to make accurate
> guesses. Maybe what works for billions of pages will not
> work for a tiny index...

And even with billions of pages it turns out easy to hack.  I think
the search for "miserable failure" is a common example.

BTW, on the swish-e site, the indexer never sees a link for "docs"
when indexing the main page.  Notice all the <!-- noindex --> tags?
Docs are clearly an important part of the site, but the indexer rarely
sees any links to the docs even though the link is on every page.