Re: swish-e 2.4 | 2.5 under Windows

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 13:36:39 GMT
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:29:12PM +0200, Roman Chyla wrote:
> hi Bill, thanks for searching, I had 1.3.1, now I have 1.3.33 - nothing
> changed

1.3.1!  That's something like seven years old.  Why are you bothering
with Windows 98?  That said, I have ran swish.cgi on my Windows
machine which is running plain old Windows 98 and not seen these
errors.  Maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

README-WIN.TXT says:

  Apache should never be used as a production server under any
  consumer operating system such as Windows 95, 98, or ME (Millennium
  Edition). [...]

> correct -> swish_binary => '/romca/swish5/swish-e.exe',        # OK
>            swish_binary => '../../swish-e.exe'
> wrong -> swish_binary => 'c:/romca/swish5/swish-e.exe',

I can't believe that's true.

> it is with or without SWISH::API, no matter what I use
> both with 2.4.3 or with 2.5.3 version, however with API i can use
> windows style c:/romca....

eh, well, SWISH::API doesn't use the swish_binary.   Still have to
specify it (or something) because the program checks that it is set.

> but for every search there are 4 new lines in apache error log added,
> everytime, no matter if using API or not
> [Fri Jun 03 11:44:05 2005] [warn] exec() may not be safe

I can only find this message in apache_1.3.29/src/main/alloc.c, but I
can't pretend to understand what's happening at that point in the
code without running it in a debugger on Windows.

> If one use some of "debug_options" , the child never returns

Why would printing to stderr cause problem?

> when I kill the child manually, apache writes some parts of dumped
> structure, mostly swish-e header, and it is apparent that there are some
> results

Is Windows buffering stderr?

> does anyone know why exec is called?

exec() has to be called to run CGI scripts, generally.  I'm not sure
that the message you are seeing is specifically related to calling
exec() at that point.

What I would do it this situation is write a small CGI script and see
if you see the errors -- somethings like

  #!/bin/perl -w
  use strict;
  print "Content-type: text/plain\n\nHello World!\n";

and see if that causes problems.  Then start adding more things
until the problem shows up.

Then I'd likely throw the Windows machine out the window.