Re: C-API interface question

From: Tacelosky, Michael <tac(at)not-real.cheztac.com>
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 15:50:17 GMT
I understood the issue to be complexity, not a lack of compelling
argument.

We'd LOVE to have the index available as an API -- it'd give us much
better control of process, and most importantly, would allow us to
figure out where the natural breaking points are for very large indexes.
Right now, we do some sort of black magic formula to calculate when an
index gets too big, and it's a real pain.

Having it as part of an API would also allow us to give more feedback as
to how long something is going to take -- our indexing and merging is
often on the order of 24 hours, so development is quite a challenge (and
can be very frustrating when we reach certain limits).

Anyway, I do hope the reason it's not available is because of the
complexity, not the lack of compelling arguments!

Tac