Re: swish-e indexing questions

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 15:07:26 GMT
John Paige scribbled on 5/18/05 9:24 AM:

> Hi,
>    I have couple of questions regarding indexing on swish-e:
> 1: When index is created, swish-e creates two files,
> - index.swish-e
> - index.swish-e.prop
>
> After doing cat on these files, I can see that it uses some sort of
> compression to index files. Could anyone please let me what
> compression method it uses?

zlib. You can set the compression level with the PropCompressionLevel param.

> 2: Is it possible to pass these indexing files to another server using
> socket? The scenerio I have is, I would like one server to do indexing
> and use the other server to store indexing files. Is it possible to do
> so using C-API's provided by swish-e?

The C API is only for linking the libswish-e search library into a C program.
Probably not what you want.

It's not clear to me if by "store" you mean serve the indexes for searching or
simply keep them on disks attached to a different machine than the one where you
created them.

If the former, check out the SWISHED project (link at swish-e.org). It's a
mod_perl based server for searching indexes. You can create the indexes on one
machine, then copy them to another for making available to your audience via
SWISHED (or whatever method you choose).