Re: Suggestion for small correction in swish-e

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 15:02:41 GMT
On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 07:26:53AM -0700, krasnal wrote:
> I've just compiled swish-e from the sources under cygwin (SWISH-E 2.4.3)
> and I've noticed one thing:
>
> $ swish-e -c mpsc_swish.conf -S prog
> Indexing Data Source: "External-Program"
> Indexing "spider.pl"
> External Program found: \Cygwin\usr\local\lib\swish-e/spider.pl
> Cygwinusrlocallibswish-espider.pl: not found

I wonder if that's due to Cygwin for some reason.  This isn't a
problem under Windows normally.

> Why is swish-e using backslashes and gives the path in windows "format" to
> spider.pl (as you can see in the next line this leads to problems)?  I think
> I know how to deal with it but It would be nice to have it working correctly
> in the future.

Well, one solution would be for you to specify the full path to
spider.pl.

We are using the code from the GNU "which" command to find the
program, but we also have a function get_env_path_with_libexecdir()
that adds on the "libexecdir" directory onto the path before searching
for the program -- and that looks like where the backslashes are
coming from.

Since you have a compiler on Windows, can you do a little debugging to
see where those backslashes are coming from?  Most of this is in
extprog.c.  May only need to call normalize_path() again after calling
find_command_in_path().

Dave, should libexecdir have backslashes?  I'm curious about the
difference between the compiled version and the cygwin version.

Also, can anyone explain why Microsoft used backslashes in the first
place?  And still does?  And those drive letters -- are those still
used?