Re: swish- indexing deletion

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 18:14:31 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:55:08AM -0700, Bernhard Weisshuhn wrote:
> John Paige wrote:
>
> > So, what people do if they need to delete a file from an index and
> > can't use incremental as it's in experimental stage.
>
> In one project we index an empty file with the same path into a new
> index and merge that with the old one. IIRC the new one is favoured over
> the older one and since it does not contain any words, it is never found.

Swish has a feature/bug that prevents indexing nothing.  So how do you
index an empty file?  I suppose the trick is to index some work under
a metaname not otherwise used for searching.

moseley@bumby:~$ touch bla
moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -i bla -f index.bla
Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
Indexing "bla"
Removing very common words...
no words removed.
Writing main index...
err: No unique words indexed!
.
moseley@bumby:~$ swish-e -w foo -f index.bla
err: Index file error: Could not open the index file 'index.bla': No such file or directory
.