Re: lucene/plucene

From: Roman Chyla <chyla(at)not-real.knihovnabbb.cz>
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 15:37:18 GMT
You know java well, do you?

> My favorite indexer is swish-e. Quick. Easy. Well documented. Feature
> rich. Comes with a Perl API as well as API's for other languages. The
> query syntax is straight forward.

> As the amount of content I plan to index increases I begin to need an
> incremental indexing feature. I also need multi-byte character
> indexing. Lucene/Plucene offer these features at the expense of greater
> complexity. Lucene/Plucene is 100% a toolbox, no application. It does
> not index files, but rather data structures. This means I can not point
> it to file system and have it automatically extract the meta data,
> content, etc.

what is the most missing feature in swish? (maybe general question to
all, another part of religious war ;)

for me it si multi-byte support

in Lucene, I would probably miss the speed and the great shining
friendliness of Swish

> What experience do others here in Swish-E World have with
> Lucene/Plucene?

it took me several hours to compile non-demo Lucene, the path to jars or
something, very strange for the first time

roman