Re: Swish-e

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 16:54:06 GMT
Thanks for the good feedback, Roman. I just checked in vers 0.09 with your mods.

some notes below.

Roman Chyla scribbled on 4/26/05 5:41 AM:
> hi all again,
>
> I just checked the newest version of buildswishe.pl to be sure, that one
> can compile even the old swish-e (changelog says >= 2.4.3). The ones I
> tried were 2.2.3 and 2.5.2

2.5.2 was the devel branch for the official 2.4.3 release. I would not recommend
using 2.5.2 -- use the official 2.4.3 release.

> building API - seems to me, that script is waiting for my answers (and I
> can't see questions)
>
> when I changed swish_api()
>      my $cmd = $swishdir =~ m/2\.4\.[12]/
>        ? "$^X Makefile.PL $arg"
>        : "$^X Makefile.PL $arg $output";
>      my $cmd = $swishdir =~ m/2\.4\.[12]/
>        ? "$^X Makefile.PL $arg"
>        : "$^X Makefile.PL $arg";
>
> I saw questions (please note, that the variable for noninteractive build
> was set even in previous attempts)

this was because you were using 2.5.x and the script checks for a 2.4.x release.
I have modified it to check for 2.5.x or 2.4.x.

If it works for 2.2.x that's great, but I can't promise that some future version
won't break for 2.2.

> be sure to specify perllib - in my case, the script hanged on trying to
> write into /usr/doc/perl... (didn't have rights to do so) buildswishe
> could probably check whether perllib is writable?

I put in a check for all installdirs including perllib.

> last and least
> fetching xpdf failed, wrong url - http://docs.cray.com/src/xpdf-3.01.tar.gz

thanks. we re-org'd the site and I neglected to move the xpdf source. I would
prefer that the xpdf author make a patched version available on his own site,
but so far he has not.

pek