Re: 2.4.3 Refuses to Index Virtual Host

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 16:48:15 GMT
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 07:29:20AM -0700, fh oregon wrote:
> As for your second point, I'm not any kind of company - just a guy with
> a fairly large personal web site who (as a hobby) hosts some email lists
> and web sites for a car club and a food club.

But looks like an email/hosting service.  That's not
you? looks like a company, too.  So I'm confused.  Or are
those just names you borrowed to use on this list?

> Since the root of
> ""  ("/CARS") is contained within the "" tree, I
> would expect that it would be indexed on the same pass.  It would be
> interesting to understand just how swish-e traverses the website tree -
> in looking at the log file, it appears to be jumping around and not
> following the directory structure as I would expect.  Kinda makes me go
> "hmmmm".

Think about it.  All a web spider can do is follow links.  It has no
idea about your directory structure at all.  Many web sites don't even
have any directory structure -- they are all dynamically created from
a database.

There is no way for the spider to know that is
contained in's web or file space.  If you had a
spider that didn't limit to specific hosts then you would end up
indexing the entire Web.  If you want to index a host you have to tell
the spider to index that host.

Post more details about what you want to do and we can help you get it

Help with Swish-e: