Re: fhash.c bug?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 15:44:48 GMT
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:00:48AM -0800, Peter Karman wrote:
> My problem seems to be something else as-yet-unnamed. I could not duplicate the
> problem on Linux with the 12 files I sent you -- so I copied the 12 back to OS X
> and tried it again and could not duplicate it there either! But when I tried the
> original 12, in the original dir, on OSX, I get the error (hang in uncompress1)
> everytime. (Just for sanity, I just rebuilt latest swish-e on OSX using latest
> zlib 1.2.2 and get same error. OSX ships with zlib 1.1.3 so I wondered if there
> was a zlib problem somewhere.)

You probably know this, but if you run inside gdb and it hangs you can
control-c and get a back trace.  It helps a lot if you you understand
the code, but that should allow you to step through and see why it's
hanging and work back from there.

The segfaults and bus errors are probably a bit easier since you can
often see what caused the fault -- such as an invalid memory location.
And then you can work back from there and use watch statements.  It
can eat quite a bit of time, learning the tools of gdb can really
help.  It takes me a lot of time regardless.