Re: Ruby interface for swish-e?

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 01:22:26 GMT
On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 13:12 -0800, Thomas R. Bruce wrote:
> About a year ago, someone surfaced on the list indicating that he was
> working on a Ruby interface for swish-e.  I'll contact him
> independently, but in the meantime ... does anyone know the status of
> that project or a similar one?

Well, I know nothing of ruby.  However, failing all else maybe you can
generate basic ruby bindings using swig.  I created a fairly complete
Python module using swig in only a few minutes.  It is the swish-python
module in CVS:

There are a few functions which still need to be manually wrapped with C
code.  I've not had the time to get back to that, though.  Swig appears
to have a problem automatically translating the datatypes relating to
the header and fuzzy word functions I documented in the initial import
log.  You can see here that the actual swig file is rather trivial:

This generates a swish_wrap.c Ruby binding but I don't know how to
properly link a ruby module:
  swig -ruby -module swish swish.i

 David Norris
  ICQ - 412039