Re: Manually adding to an index

From: Peter Ensch <pensch(at)>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 20:39:31 GMT
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:00:03PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> Peter Ensch wrote on 02/24/2005 12:49 PM:
> >On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:38:07PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> >
> >>however, I'm not really following. you're wanting to return a match for
> >>something that isn't really in the index?
> >

> >Exactly. I know that's probably not 'in the spirit' of swish-e, but I
> >doubt if it's that an uncommon desire.
> >
> no, not in the spirit. but understandable. I think you want something
> like semantic (sympathetic) indexing, where a search for some words
> turns up a hit for docs that don't actually contain those words but
> words "like" them.
> I think that's your easiest workaround.

Well, here's my workaround. I don't like it (but I guess that's why we
call them workarounds...).

Create dummy files in my fs which contain (in meta tags) the words I
want to map to certain external sites. Like so:

</head> </html>

A search on -w '"Search tool"' will now return a link which says
Swish-e and redirects to that site (even tho' the page itself is on
my local site).

It's a bit 'smoke & mirrors'. Is there a better way?

Peter Ensch,           A-1140   (214) 480 2333