Re: Perl API and mod_perl/Incremental

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 14:23:36 GMT
Markus Peter scribbled on 2/17/05 4:37 AM:

> As we're still using the old SWISH.pm with an external swish-e binary, I
> suppose I could speed up the searches by using SWISH::API.

swish-e 2.4.x (which is when SWISH::API was introduced) is *much* faster in my
experience.

> Now, my question is:
> I guess the major speedup SWISH::API allows is to keep the index file
> open between searches, so it needn't be reopened and reparsed for every
> request. How would I use it the best way, especially in the context of
> Apache 1 and mod_perl, where Apache forks new children.

have you checked out SWISHED? that's a mod_perl app that does what you're
talking about. It uses SWISH::API.

> The other question I have is regarding incremental mode. So far I've
> been using the traditional mode with cron jobs to update once or twice a
> day, but I'd really like to convert the search to be "real time". How
> stable is incremental mode? And "how incremental" is it? Can I use it,
> to add/modify/remove documents from the search index on the fly, as they
> are added/modified or is it rather targetted at batch processing a larger
> number of updates (=merely a better merge)?

you can add/modify/remove docs on the fly with incremental mode. there are some
improvements in the latest cvs build that aren't in the 2.4.3 release.

folks keep asking how stable it is, and I think the concensus is that it's
fairly stable, but not as stable as the traditional index. We need people to
help us make it more stable by using it! So give it a try (maybe in a limited
scope, not full production) and report back to the list.