Re: Rpm build problems: Failed to find [swish-config] in

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 10:02:44 GMT
On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 21:19 -0800, Stephen Granger wrote:
> I know this is maybe off-topic and I apologize as it probably has more
> to do with building rpms than swish-e itself, though I'm stuck so I'd thought I'd ask
> anyway. I am trying to build rpms on Redhat Fedora 3.

Well, the problem is with building SWISH::API rather than the RPM.  I
don't particularly have a good solution to that problem right now.  It's
also an issue I've butted heads with building the Windows release.  If
you don't need SWISH::API then you can just remove it from the spec
file.

> RPMs can be built with:
> /configure  make dist
> Copy the resulting tarball to RPM's SOURCES directory and then run as a
> superuser:
> rpmbuild -ba rpm/swish-e.spec

Hrm, I probably should replace that note in CHANGES.pod and point people
to a document that explains how to properly setup RPM.  One should never
compile anything as root.  Perhaps it would be best to point users to
http://freshrpms.net/docs/fight/ somewhere in the docs.

> + SWISHBIN=~/rpm/tmp/BUILD/swish-e-2.4.3/src/swish-e
> + /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
>
>   ** ERROR: Failed to find [swish-config] in PATH
>   Run perl Makefile.PL SWISHHELP for options

Yes, minor technical difficulty.  There's a bit of a conflict in both
providing and requiring libswish-e in the same spec file.  There is
certainly a way around that problem but it will require some head
scratching.

Another nagging problem with the RPM is the shear volume of Perl
dependencies.  I wonder how Dag is dealing with the dependency issue...
I see that he has lumped all of the Perl stuff into one RPM.  Ah, he
hasn't dealt with it because he has no RPMs.  That's the solution I've
defaulted to thus far.  ;-)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/