Re: Re: Database searching with swish-e

From: <dcha099(at)not-real.ec.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 20:14:25 GMT
Quoting Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:20:05AM -0800, Walter Lewis wrote:
> > I believe the standard practice is to set up a script that generates
> > "HTML" pages on the fly (without writing them to the filesystem).  These
> > are then fed to the spider program (I haven't needed to touch the spider
> > code at all.)
> >
> > You end up with something like this in the conf (the indexing
> > configuration) file:
> >
> > 	IndexDir spider.pl ./NewsDB2.pl
>
> You don't need the spider.  It does http requests for the docs.
>
> There's an example script called MySQL.pl that fetches the records
> from the database and feeds them directly to swish-e (via STDOUT).
>
> Bryon, keep in mind that swish-e is not a relational database so you
> won't be able to do the queries you are used to doing.
>
> Also be aware that swish-e won't likely scale as well as your
> database.  Make sure you use -e when indexing or you may run out of
> memory.
>

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley@hank.org

> Help with Swish-e:
>    http://swish-e.org/current/docs
>    swish-e@sunsite.berkeley.edu

The company I am working at thinks that a single field search(keyword search)
will improve not only the usability but also the speed of the search.

The users of the system are Customer service representatives, who currently do a
fielded search, ie Name - (Textbox),  Street - (Textbox), etc. So instead of
having to navigate the search screen for the correct field, they can just type
"bloggs j elm street" in the single field and from there hopefully more often
than not the first result is the one they want.

Thank you for those suggestions, I'll get back to you guys once I try them.

Bryon