Phrase searching under Windows and Linux environments

From: Harms, Jake E (JUS) <Jharms(at)not-real.gov.mb.ca>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 14:15:24 GMT
In order to search the same phrase and get the same results in both
environments, I find that I have to escape the quotes (with a backslash "\")
in the Windows environment, but not in the Linux environment.

For example, in order to get the same results for the search term: "this
phrase" (surrounded by quotes):
The following PHP syntax works in the Linux environment:
	$swish = "$path/swish-e";  /* path of swish-e command*/
	$search_index = "$path/swish/site-en.idx";  /* path of swish-e index
file*/
	$srch_cmd = "$swish -w $srch_term -f  $search_index;

But for it to work in the Windows environment, I have to precede it with the
following line:
	$srch_term=str_replace("\"","\\\"",$srch_term);

I did not find a note about this on your site, although some mention was
made of Windows swallowing quotes. I thought you might find this example
useful.

I have been using Swish for three years with great success.  I would not
switch from Swish for anything.

Jake E Harms

to a plain text message.