Re: Request for comments on new project

From: Dave Seff <dseff(at)not-real.advisen.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 23:48:42 GMT
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:32, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:24:38PM -0800, Dave Seff wrote:
> >
> > I have developed and client/server daemon that integrates with swish-e.
> > It is written in C and is very buggy and breaks easily, but it's a
> > start.
>
> Are connections created for every request, or does the client (or
> manager) maintain persistent connection with swishd?
>
> Is any caching done on the swishd -- so if you ask for the same query
> you can avoid searching the index again?  Might be helpful for viewing
> "next" and "previous" pages.
>
> Is swishd a single process?  That is, does it only process one request
> at a time?  Or does it fork to process requests?
>
> Have you looked at SWISHED at http://swishewiki.org/ ?  It uses
> mod_perl for the server side.
>
> > I have tarballs for submission but I don't know who to send them to.
> > Like I said, It's buggy and breaks a lot. So any suggestions and patches
> > are welcome. I am releasing it under the GPL.
>
> Can you make it available some place?  Do you have any example code?

I have looked at SWISHED. The one thin I wanted to avoid is apache.
Swishd uses persistant connections and forks with each new connection.
It doesn't not do any cacheing although I don't see any reason why it
shouldn't have it.

I have attached the src tarballs. If this list cannot handle them I can
make them available on an FTP server.

-Dave

--
Dave Seff <dseff@advisen.com>