Re: Re: Getting Results faster? (libswish-e)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 18:30:34 GMT
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:29:00AM -0800, Gunnar Mätzler wrote:
> What i tried now is:
>
> SwishSeekResult( App->results, pDispInfo->item.iItem );
> SW_RESULT  result;
> result = SwishNextResult( App->results );
> CString string;
> PropValue* value = getResultPropValue (result, "swishdocpath", 0 );
> string = value->value.v_str;
> freeResultPropValue(value);
>
> It's not much faster (if ever). Did i miss something?

It's not going to be much faster -- that's really all
SwishResultPropertyStr() does.  But, I think you are asking for
trouble copying the pointer to a string and then freeing it.

> You are right, accessing the results list is fast. I just checked it by just
> moving through the list
> without reading any properties.
>
> The reason i am insisting is that i might have to store the index (and
> properties) on CD-ROM. And i think it will
> become a lot worse then. So any idea would be appriciatet.

Are you sure of where it's running slowly?  If it's really fetching
the properties off the disk that is slow than I'm not sure what can be
done to speed it up short of speeding up your disk.  Swish isn't doing
much work when fetching the properties.