Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 23:35:20 GMT
> >    2. and something very odd: I compiled on Knoppix, tar and gzipped it.
> > When I untarred the archive on Windows and moved it to Debian, swish-e
> > did not work (error file: /tmp/swish/lib/ too short), when I
> > extracted the archive in Debian, it worked! You probably knows why, I don't.

Were you using Winzip or FTP?

> if you "untarred on Windows and moved it to Debian" my suspicion is
> line-endings or text/binary confusion in 'moving' it.

Probably.  For example, Winzip will translate line endings within every
file in a tar, including binaries.  There are some advanced options in
Winzip to disable tar file conversion.  And many FTP clients will mangle
the files by sending in text mode instead of binary.

 David Norris
  ICQ - 412039