Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux]

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 17:40:27 GMT
Roman Chyla wrote on 11/26/04 3:29 AM:

> I have just tried to move/search/index with swish-e built on different
> machine(s)
>
> for me, it worked! And that't good news, isn't it?

glad to hear it worked.

> I was *unsuccesful* in these situations:
>    1. compiled on Debian and moved to Slackware, however, this was
> probably because I had libxml2 and zlib in different directories than
> swish-e, (bacause of fiddling with buildswishe.pl before I found the
> issue described below); BUT, even though this did not work in Slackware
> it *worked* in Knoppix (distr. based on Debian)

I wonder if the latest version (0.07 iirc) of buildswishe.pl would do
this correctly.

>    2. and something very odd: I compiled on Knoppix, tar and gzipped it.
> When I untarred the archive on Windows and moved it to Debian, swish-e
> did not work (error file: /tmp/swish/lib/libxml2.so.2 too short), when I
> extracted the archive in Debian, it worked! You probably knows why, I don't.

if you "untarred on Windows and moved it to Debian" my suspicion is
line-endings or text/binary confusion in 'moving' it.

> please, if you can, add buildswishe.pl script to you standard distribution
> hope that helps someone

buildswishe.pl is part of the CVS source. Since it downloads everything
for you, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg as to whether it needs to be
part of the std distribution.

it should always be available here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/swishe/swish-e/buildswishe.pl

so you might just be able to do:

curl -O \
'http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/swishe/swish-e/buildswishe.pl'

perl buildswishe.pl --installdir=/some/where

and thus get everything in 2 commands.

--
Peter Karman  .  http://www.cray.com/craydoc/ .  karman(at)not-real.cray.com