Re: Using Swish's Query Parser (to pre-filter a collection

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 23:20:55 GMT
Bill's right here (as always).

I call this 'compound searching' where I want to do a preliminary
search, then search within that set, winnowing as I get more specific.

In Perl CGI, I did this with an array of queries, AND'd together.

use CGI qw(:standard);
my @q = param('q');
my $swishq = join ' AND ', @q;

where my url was something like:

myscript?q=foo;q=bar;q=sports

for example. I then offered users the choice of 'search within these
results' or 'new search'.

--
Peter Karman . http://www.cray.com/craydoc/ . karman(at)not-real.cray.com
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."