Re: indexing a whole drive using swish-e 2.4.2 on windows

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 00:53:41 GMT
On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 01:50 -0800, Sascha Herpers wrote:
> I have some problems using the following directive while indexing with
> swish-e (2.4.2 on windows):
> 	IndexDir "f:/"

Which version of Windows?  Is this the 2.4.2 build from swish-e.org?

> Swish-e complains about an invalid path. Indexing "f:/some_sub_dir/../"
> works fine, so there is no problem with access rights to the drive or
> something like this.
> (f:/ is actually a mapped drive on my network, but that should make no
> difference, right?)

It may make a difference.  Does it work with a physical volume such as
c:/?

SWISH-E is using a compatibility library to provide UNIX compatible
directory access on Windows.  There have been some strange problems in
the past.  And in some cases I've seen conflicting behavior between
Windows 2000/XP and Windows 9x.  UNC paths and physical volumes don't
follow quite the same rules.  So if Windows is treating a network volume
similar to a UNC path it could be a problem.  Also, it seems like the
rules reverse for the root directory.  The Windows findfile routines try
to hide these problems so you don't see it in native programs.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/