Re: question about the sample cgi program

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 15:50:13 GMT
On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 07:33:45AM -0800, Aaron Bazar wrote:
>  have data that I am sending to the browser that needs to encoded..

Look at the existing templates for examples, but it's just a matter of
sending the data through the html filter:

  The text you submitted is: [% user_data | html %]

> One of the fields in the database holds long URLs with several parameters.
> It has to be URL encoded (some hex encoding, I guess) for them to work
> properly.

Three's a few ways to do that:

Another is to build the URL in your template (say if you want to have
different forms of a URL ("brief info" "full info").

  perldoc Template::Plugin::URL

will give some examples.

> Basically, if you could show me how to access the variables that
> are returned from a swish-e query, that would be excellent.

You mean submitted to the search.cgi script from the browser?

You just use:

   my $foo = $cgi->param('foo');

to fetch the foo parameter.

> For example, one of my fields(metaname?) is called "name"
>
> I would like to do a bit of processing on the value that is returned from
> the swish query before the script sends the data to the template.

Oh, sounds like from swish.  It sounds like you want to modify data
for display (or related to how it must be formatted for the browser).
In that case do that in the template, not in the script.