Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux

From: Peter Karman <karman(at)not-real.cray.com>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 18:00:09 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote on 10/29/04 11:55 AM:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 09:48:47AM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
>
>>good point. I hadn't had to do that yet. I'll look at adding that
>>feature ( --compiledir ).
>

> Maybe you should use standard option names. --prefix and
> DESTDIR.
>
> Besides downloading sources for libz and libxml2, what does
> buildswish.pl do that shouldn't be handled by ./configure and make?
> If configure isn't figuring things out correctly then it really needs
> to be fixed.  And if there's things configure can't do then maybe
> those should be brought up on the autoconf list and see if they can't
> be supported.

My goals behind the buildswishe.pl script were:

1. provide easy way to automate builds on different *nix OSs.
2. account for nonstandard INCLUDE and LIB paths by OS.
3. always build with libz and libxml2
4. always build the SWISH::API perl module

I didn't want to replace 'configure' and 'make' -- indeed, I use them in
the script. It's just that I had a hard time remembering the syntax for
the different configure options on different operating systems, and
thought maybe other folks did too.

I consider it (1) a tool for admins needing to build on different
systems, and (2) a convenient way to download and build the latest
version of swish on any *nix OS.

It's about convenience, not replacing configure.

> By the way, I just did:
>
>   ./configure --prefix=$HOME/foo
>   make
>   make install DESTDIR=/tmp/swish
>
> so it got installed in /tmp/swish/home/moseley/foo/

that makes the most sense for Tom's problem; I hope that works for him too.
--
Peter Karman  .  http://www.cray.com/craydoc/ .  karman(at)not-real.cray.com