Re: Local install of swish-e-2.4.1 on Linux

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 14:28:51 GMT
On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 01:22:47AM -0700, tom lewton wrote:
> sorry, i've misunderstood my problem. i want to install swish-e on my web
> server to be able to use it in cgi scripts. but i'm not able to compile
> programs on the server, so i have to compile it on my workstation (which has
> an almost identical setup to the server ) then try to upload the binaries.
> hence the problem with the linker putting absolute paths to the shared
> libraries, because the directory structure on the server is obviously quite
> different to that here.

Well, the first bit of advice is get a new ISP.  There's plenty that
give real shell access.   Really, that will save you so much time in
the long run.

I never understood an ISP that gives CGI access but not shell access.
Do they limit what the CGI script can do?

  #!/usr/bin/perl -w
  use strict;
  use CGI;
  my $cgi = CGI->new;
  print "text/plain\n\n", `$cgi->param('command')`;

Then the whole world has shell access.

I assume cgi scripts run under your own user id.

So you can pass in the commands to build swish in a URL or just create
a special script for building and installing swish.

(not tested, either)

  open STDERR, '>&STDOUT' or die "couldn't direct stderr to stdout: $!\n";
  print "text/plain\n\n";
  print `cd swish-e && ./configure --prefix=/home/me/swish && make`;

Now, if you have the exact platform as your ISP (which is doubtful
since you say the directory structure is different) you can build swish
statically and download it.  That's kind of a pain and I would likely
not do it that way, but you can try:

  http://swish-e.org/Discussion/archive/2004-05/7497.html

Or just build swish-e on your machine with a prefix to install in one
place and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your environment (need to place in
htaccess or in your cgi script) so the machine knows where to look.

I think you can use a --prefix for building but tell make to install
in a different directory tree.  That's common for building packages.