Re: "No SWISH filters found"?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 16:55:09 GMT
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 09:33:33AM -0700, Richard Morin wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > swish-filter-test -verbose foo
>
> Trying that, I got much the same messages that I
> previously sent to the list.  Looking at your
> email, however, I see that your run loaded the
> Pdf2HTML filter, whereas mine did not even try.

That's interesting.

Maybe you are somehow missing that module?  Doesn't seem likely.

Anyway, you can look for what individual filter modules you have
installed.  First, to find out where the modules are installed:

$ swish-filter-test -path
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl

$ find /usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl | grep Filters
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters/Doc2txt.pm
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters/Doc2html.pm
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters/Pdf2HTML.pm
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters/ID3toHTML.pm
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters/XLtoHTML.pm

swish-filter-test is just a small program that uses
SWISH::Filter.  The SWISH::Filter module searches that path
( /usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filters ) for any module and tries
to load it.  Then each individual Filter module searches for any
helper programs it might need.  For example, SWISH::Filters::Pdf2HTML
needs pdftotext and pdfinfo to operate.

Now, if pdftotext and pdfinfo can't be found the module is disabled
and not used, but that swish-filter-test -verbose foo command should
tell you that.

Since it's not even mentioning Pdf2HTML then it seems like it's
missing.

Anyway, you get the idea:  The Perl filters (like Pdf2HTML) can be
distributed with swish-e, but they only start to work once any
required helper programs are installed.  So to start filtering PDFs
you normally just have to install Xpdf and like magic you can index
PDFs.  But again, swish-filter-test -verbose would still show you
Pdf2HTML testing for the helper programs.

As you might guess, all this depends on things getting installed
correctly.  That's running:

    ./configure && make && make test && make install