Re: wildcard and stop words in properties

From: Michael <mpeters(at)not-real.plusthree.com>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 19:10:11 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 11:51:17AM -0700, Michael wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if wildcards (*) and stopwords were applied to properties.
>

> You are confusing properties and metanames.

I'm using the line
	PropertyNames category

so doesn't this make it a property?

>>In particular I'm trying to allow the user to limit their search based
>>on a path. They have a drop down menu which which gives them some paths
>>to choose from. Then I modify the path so that it's the same as the web
>>path (while indexing using ExtractPath) and put it in a property named
>>category.
>>
>>I then use this in my search string. So I can end up with something like
>>this...
>>	category=/news/*
>>
>>When I use this to search (in my form and from the command line) it
>>almost works, but I end up with some results that don't match, like this
>>
>>	/chapter/newsletters
>

> That's a bug in the parser and it's showing up because you don't have
> the slash as a wordcharacter.
>
> The bug in the parser is changing:
>
>    /news/* into news*
>
> If you had / in your Wordcharacters setting(s) then it would work as
> you expect, but you will have to think if you want "/" as part of a
> word.

I just saw this setting and am currently investigating it. If I use
WordCharacters do I also need IgnoreFirstChar, IgnoreLastChar,
BeginCharacters, EndCharacter ? If I add something to WordCharacters
does it replace the default or add to it?

> As is, if you have a path /chapter/newsletters/foo that gets indexed
> as three separate words.
>

>>Also, when I try a search like this
>>	category=/about/*
>>I get 0 results. I expect it's cause 'about' is in my stop words list.
>

> Likely.  Maybe you don't really need a stopword list.

No, I do need them 'cause the customer specifically asked for them.

--
Michael Peters
Developer