Re: wildcard and stop words in properties

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 18:59:20 GMT
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 11:51:17AM -0700, Michael wrote:
> I was wondering if wildcards (*) and stopwords were applied to properties.

You are confusing properties and metanames.

> In particular I'm trying to allow the user to limit their search based
> on a path. They have a drop down menu which which gives them some paths
> to choose from. Then I modify the path so that it's the same as the web
> path (while indexing using ExtractPath) and put it in a property named
> category.
>
> I then use this in my search string. So I can end up with something like
> this...
> 	category=/news/*
>
> When I use this to search (in my form and from the command line) it
> almost works, but I end up with some results that don't match, like this
>
> 	/chapter/newsletters

That's a bug in the parser and it's showing up because you don't have
the slash as a wordcharacter.

The bug in the parser is changing:

   /news/* into news*

If you had / in your Wordcharacters setting(s) then it would work as
you expect, but you will have to think if you want "/" as part of a
word.

As is, if you have a path /chapter/newsletters/foo that gets indexed
as three separate words.

> Also, when I try a search like this
> 	category=/about/*
> I get 0 results. I expect it's cause 'about' is in my stop words list.

Likely.  Maybe you don't really need a stopword list.