Re: Syntax summary for search.cgi?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 00:46:17 GMT
On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 05:25:06PM -0700, Richard Morin wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2004, at 5:25 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 05:07:39PM -0700, Richard Morin wrote:
> >>I haven't been able to find a simple summary of the
> >>syntax accepted by search.cgi.  Does anyone have one
> >>that might be appropriate for turning into a web page
> >>for my users?
> >
> >I don't understand the question.
>
> On http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-SEARCH.html, there
> is some discussion of the syntax accepted by "swish-e -w".
> I'm not sure how much of this is applicable to strings that
> a user might type into the fill-in area on search.cgi.  I
> also think that a briefer introduction might be better for
> my users.

The text entered into the form is passed to swish-e as the query.
Yes, http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-SEARCH.html describes the
search syntax for swish, so most if not all of that applies.

Normally you wouldn't enter meta names there (swish.cgi allows
selection of metanames via form widgets) but there's nothing stopping
you from entering metanames.  The scripts, I think, wrap the query in
$metaname=($query), but I think the parser is not so smart that you
can't do something like  swishdefault=( othermeta=word ) to
search the "othermeta" metaname for "word".

So, basically, the field should accept the same thing as -w does.