swish.cgi configuration bobbles

From: Richard Morin <rdm(at)not-real.slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 22:56:31 GMT
I have set up a symlink to swish.cgi, in my CGI
directory, as:

   fsw_docs -> .../local/lib/swish-e/swish.cgi

When I try the web page itself, it works (i.e., I get an
appropriate-looking Swish-e form):

   http://.../cgi-wrap/fsw_docs

but when I try a query, it fails (with an error from cgi-wrap):

   http://.../cgi-wrap?query=fsw&submit=Search%21&metaname=...

It appears that the script is creating an invalid
query (i.e., discarding the "/fsw_docs" portion of
the URL).  So, I tried editing that part back in:

   http://.../cgi-wrap/fsw_docs?query=fsw&submit=Search%21&metaname=...

This gives me a Swish-e page, with the nastygram:

   Index file error: Could not open the index file
   'index.swish-e': No such file or directory

I suspect that I have some sort of configuration bobbles,
but I'm not at all sure how to resolve them.  Help?

-r

P.S.  I am able to run "swish-e -w" and "./fsw_docs" from
       the command line.