Bison anyone? (was: thank you and query parser)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 14:30:07 GMT
On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:11:29AM -0700, Jonas Wolf wrote:

Thanks for the nice words, Jonas.

> Ok, enough with the praise, before I leave I would like to share my query
> parser with anyone who is interested. It uses Parse::RecDescent, so you
> can define any query syntax you like. This pacakge performs two functions.
> Firstly, it checks that the query conforms to the specified syntax. And
> secondly, I use this package to generate the equivalent swish-e query
> string. This means in particular that I translate a search term 'query'
> into something like 'query or meta=query or meta2=query' and so on.

So you use it to expand a query, not just parse it?

Do you, or anyone on this list, have any experience with Bison (yacc
replacement)?  I've had the Bison book on my reading table for some
time, and so far it's only be effective in putting me to sleep.  My
hope is to replace the swish-e parser with one generated by Bison.
Besides fixing the existing parser I want to add new parser features,
such as using "+" and "-" to represent AND and NOT operators, and to
have the option of using ":" for metanames to be more like other
search engines (instead of meta=(not foo) perhaps -meta:foo and/or
meta:-foo).