Re: Swish-e Ranking for Search within XML files

From: Tomek Noiński <noix(at)not-real.sphere.pl>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 18:46:09 GMT
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:28:02 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Karman <karman@cray.com> wrote:

> > It does work, but I wonder if there is a way to make meta name
> > behave as it would have the rank stronger than 10?
>
> because it is an experimental feature, I suggest you experiment and
> let us know. :)
>
> you can redefine the range here:
>
> swish.h:#define RANK_BIAS_RANGE 10
>
> set it to something larger than 10 and recompile swish-e. Then let us
> know if a higher range is an effective tool.
>
> the most recent CVS daily build has some other ranking improvements,
> so you might experiment with that version for this test, to see if
> those changes help with your biasing need.

Thanks, I tried it.
Changing to newer version (Debian 2.4.1-1 -> today's snapshot) helped,
but I didn't have luck with MetaNamesRank with changed RANK_BIAS_RANGE.
I didn't seem to matter if MetaNamesRank was set to 10, 100 or 1000.

Maybe there's better way to do what I'm trying to do? It's not too
important, but I'm curiout how to do it right.

I have a base with algorythmic problems, with descriptions and some
other data, like "code", identyfying the problem, author etc.
I form it into xml, make an index from it and do queries like
"test or code=test".
The problem is, problem with code "test" has much lower rank than
another, mentioning several "test cases" in the description, despite
MetaNamesRank set to 10/100/1000 for code (but it does work somewhat,
because when set to 0, it is even worse).

Should I try to sort the records myself and not rely on swishes ranking?
Or just wait for the MetaNamesRank to become stable? :)

Oh, and thanks for help and a great piece of software!

--
Noix