Re: Retrieving metatag content

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 14:29:16 GMT
On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 06:39:45AM -0700, Peter B. Ensch wrote:
> That's the solution I came up with overnight also. The only downside
> to that approach is that it increases the index size by including
> PropertyNames which I actually never use other than to build my web
> form widgets (needless to say I have quite a few more Meta/Property
> names than in my example).

Yes, unfortunately swish doesn't try to avoid duplication by saving
properties only once and then referencing them -- I think it
was assumed that properties would normally be unique so there would be
not wasted space.

Maybe if your source docs were in a database then it would be much
easier to get these list.

A question: if you want to generate a select list I assume that means
you expect a reasonably small set of different values -- which makes
me wonder if you don't already have a pre-defined list of acceptable
values used when creating the docs.

Another option would be finding the options when parsing.  For
example, if you are using spider.pl I think LWP can parse the META
tags for you and then you could just create a list of unique values
when spidering.