Why does Swish-E hate my Opteron?

From: Fennec Foxen <fennec(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 18:27:57 GMT
Swish-E hates me. :(

Quite some time ago someone founded a website. Later, I took over this
website. It was running, at the time, on an old Sun Ultra 10 whose
hard drives slowly began to fail. I moved it to a new machine, with an
Opteron processor.

At first things seemed mostly all right, aside from the normal
move-hassles of keeping all the files configured right and the
software was there. The Swish-E search worked.

Today, it does not: I added some stuff and rebuilt the index, and now
every search I perform gives me the dreaded:
Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -5.
uncompressed size: 324 buf_len: -1073746520

Is there any known workaround, or are Opteron users just not able to
use Swish-E? I tried setting PropCompressionLevel 0 in the config file
and reindexing, but that didn't seem to work.

Should I just give up and switch to ht://dig, or something else? The
search is very important to our site.

Addenda:
http://eh.net/encyclopedia/ has the pretty-shiny form of the files in
question. The search functionality there is an ugly hack, but even the
raw commands it calls cause an error.
All the .conf file has is:
FuzzyIndexingMode Stemming_en2
IndexReport 3
PropCompressionLevel 0

I can reproduce the error while indexing a single document- say, for
example, the article on Indonesia. If I search for an uncommon word,
such as "archipelago", there is success. If I search for a nonsense
string "asdfjkalafkl", there is a clean failure. If I search the word
"Malaysia" itself, it *dies*.
I have left http://eh.net/.search/encyclopedia/ to contain the index
built from this single file.